Subject: Re: bug#54173: 28.0.91; Training wheels for query-replace

From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2022 21:24:05 +0200

>>> I'm not sure I understood the patch.  Is the proposal to append all that
>>> to "Query replacing foo with bar"?  It'll make prompts commonly be
>>> longer than a line, and it's pretty noisy, so if that's the proposal,
>>> I'm against it.
>>
>> Well, yes, that's the proposal...
>>
>> At least now that string is a defvar that you can set to nil if you want
>> to save some columns :-)
>
> I'm including Juri in this thread so maybe we can get one more opinion.
>
> Let me also say that we could modify the patch so that the help message
> remains the same, i.e., just “(? for help)”.  Then at least it's not
> hardcoded anymore.

Please don't change the default succinct prompt.

If you think someone might want to display reminders for some rarely used
keys, then a variable with a help string would be fine.