Subject: bug#5413: 23.1.91; Incorrect font sizes and weights

From: Jed Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 16:44:55 +0100

On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 16:02:30 +0100, Jan Djärv <[email-masked]> wrote:
> What system are you rinning (i.e. Gnome, KDE, other?)?

Archlinux with Xmonad/Gnome, I thought building --without-gconf might
help, but it didn't (although I didn't do a full rebuild so perhaps I
still have stale gconf stuff).

> % xrdb -query|grep Xft

Nothing.

> % xdpyinfo|grep resolution

  resolution:    96x96 dots per inch

> Get a new version from the trunk and get the value of the lisp variable 
> xft-settings (C-h v xft-settings).

"Antialias: 1, Hinting: 1, RGBA: 1, LCDFilter: 0, Hintstyle: 3, DPI: 120.000000"

Setting the Xft.dpi resource does not change this DPI setting.

> It is not the weight, it is the hinting.  Emacs uses the values from the 
> desktop settings if available, or the fontconfig defaults otherwise.

Okay, I changed the settings in Gnome's font rendering details panel and
now I get what I wanted

"Antialias: 1, Hinting: 1, RGBA: 1, LCDFilter: 0, Hintstyle: 1, DPI: 96.000000"

and the fonts look good again with the expected 'DejaVu Sans Mono-10'.

Thanks for the help.

Jed