Subject: bug#54111: guile bundles (a compiled version of) UnicodeData.txt and binaries

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 11:47:56 +0100

Hi Tim,

Timothy Sample <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Well, I don’t consider myself an Awk person, but I had to implement it
> for Gash-Utils, so I know it well enough!  This may not be the most
> idiomatic Awk program, but to my eyes it is no less readable than the
> Perl version.

You rock!

[...]

> It runs with “gawk --posix”.  If I run “gawk --lint”, I get warnings,
> but I’m pretty sure they are spurious (they may even be Gawk bugs, but I
> would have to double check the relevant specs and docs).  If the lint
> warnings are a problem, you can append the empty string to the argument
> of the ‘hex’ function to make them go away.  Also, (as a bonus) as of
> commit 62c56f9 the Gash-Utils version of Awk can run this script!  :)

Incredible.  :-)

> Of course, to use this script as part of the Guile build, someone™ will
> have to double check that we can legally redistribute the Unicode data
> file (probably okay, but always good to check), and update the build
> rules to generate the C file.  I can’t guarantee that I’ll get to it....

I’ll check with Andy if he’s fine with this option.  Would you like to
turn it into a patch against Guile?  If not, I could do that.

> # unidata_to_charset.awk --- Compute SRFI-14 charsets from UnicodeData.txt
> #
> # Copyright (C) 2009, 2010, 2022 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

Is this correct?  (Maybe yes because it’s a translation of the original
Perl script, right?)

Thanks a lot!

Ludo’.