Subject: bug#5410: Parenthesis Matching Bug!!

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2016 23:47:24 +0200

Andrew Hyatt <[email-masked]> writes:

> It'd be nice, I guess, if you could just turn it to nil when in a
> comment.

Yes, I think we could bind `parse-sexp-ignore-comments' to nil around
the calls to `scan-sexps' in `show-paren--default' when point is inside
a comment.  But I must admit that I don't understand the terse doc of
`parse-sexp-ignore-comments':

|  Non-nil means `forward-sexp', etc., should treat comments as
|  whitespace.

But what does nil mean, exactly?  It seems that comments are then
treated as if they were indistinguishable from code.  When I set
`parse-sexp-ignore-comments' to nil in emacs-lisp-mode, and have such a
file:

;; (
)

then show-paren-mode indicates the parens as matching, though one is
inside in a comment, and the other is not.  `scan-sexps' behaves
accordingly.  That would mean we would need to assure that the matching
paren position that `scan-sexps' has found is still inside the current
comment.

Michael.