Subject: Re: bug#5410: Parenthesis Matching Bug!!

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2016 04:55:16 +0200

Andrew Hyatt <[email-masked]> writes:

> Your example reproduces for me in Emacs 25. My guess is that emacs
> doesn't really assume that comment lines should be treated as a
> contiguous text block. Which is sometimes right, sometimes not, in my
> experience.

We are talking about `show-paren-mode', right?  AFAICT this just calls
`scan-sexps' and looks if that errors or not, without doing syntactical
analysis itself.

`parse-sexp-ignore-comments' influences `scan-sexps's behavior in this
regard, and setting it to nil does change the behavior in this case for
me.  I guess we could use this for a solution.

> For example, you could have comments that are something
> like:
>
> // This function does three things:
> // 1) Reverse the string
> // 2) Uuencode the string
> // 3) Rot-13 the string
>
> Which certainly wouldn't make a lot of sense treated contiguously.

Well, we would not loose anything in this case: parens are already shown
as mismatches now.

Michael.