Subject: bug#54084: closed (Re: bug#54084: 28.0.91; Regression: can't create empty image buffer)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2022 14:04:02 +0000

Your bug report

#54084: 28.0.91; Regression: can't create empty image buffer

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
54084: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=54084
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#54084: 28.0.91; Regression: can't create empty image buffer
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Corwin Brust <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2022 16:03:44 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Corwin Brust <[email-masked]>
> Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2022 07:58:39 -0600
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> This has my stuff working again; much appreciated.

Thanks, closing.

P.S. Your attempts to close didn't work, probably because you didn't
add a BCC to [email-masked].

Subject: 28.0.91; Regression: can't create empty image buffer
From: Corwin Brust <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2022 02:21:32 -0600
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Under Emacs -Q

1. switch to a new buffer, e.g. C-x b *foo* RET
2. M-x image-mode RET

3. Insert the following text and press C-c C-c

<svg width="400" height="400">
  <rect x="100" y="100" width="200" height="100"
        fill="none" stroke="blue" stroke-width="2"/>
</svg>

In Emacs 27.2 the outline of a rectangle is displayed as an image.

In Emacs 28.0.91 an error is emitted at step 2:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument stringp nil)
  image-mode()
  funcall-interactively(image-mode)
  command-execute(image-mode record)
  execute-extended-command(nil "image-mode" "image-mod")
  funcall-interactively(execute-extended-command nil "image-mode" "image-mod")
  command-execute(execute-extended-command)

Furthermore, inserting the text and pressing C-c C-c will do nothing
because the error interrupts the mode activation. (A subsequent M-x
image-mode RET after pasting in the snippet works.)

Ergo, it is not possible to create an empty buffer in image-mode, as
was possible in Emacs 27.2 and before.

In GNU Emacs 28.0.91 (build 6, x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2022-02-05 built on AVALON
Repository revision: 821c240075e3b850a61207d18d520126292421ce
Repository branch: emacs-28-nt-dist-build
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.19043
System Description: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (v10.0.2009.19043.1566)

Configured using:
 'configure --with-json --without-dbus --with-native-compilation
 --without-compress-install CFLAGS=-O2'

Configured features:
ACL GIF GMP GNUTLS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP
NOTIFY W32NOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
XPM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_CTYPE: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: ENU
  locale-coding-system: cp1252

Major mode: Image[svg]

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa
derived epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs
auth-source eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json
map text-property-search seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr
mail-utils cl-seq help-fns radix-tree time-date subr-x cl-print debug
backtrace help-mode find-func image-mode dired dired-loaddefs exif
cl-loaddefs cl-lib cus-start cus-load iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
dos-w32 ls-lisp disp-table term/w32-win w32-win w32-vars term/common-win
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads w32notify
w32 lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 87195 11377)
 (symbols 48 8253 0)
 (strings 32 24379 1444)
 (string-bytes 1 764439)
 (vectors 16 14960)
 (vector-slots 8 313276 16186)
 (floats 8 38 231)
 (intervals 56 402 2)
 (buffers 992 13))