Subject: bugreport

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 22:49:25 +0100

Dear guix!

guix just told me to report a bug.

This happened on a 'guix pull' followed by 'guix system reconfigure'
inside a guix vm built on guix system with:

Generation 80 14. Februar 2022 01:43:41 (aktuell)
 guix 6bfb3fc
 Repository-URL: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git
 Branch: master
 Commit: 6bfb3fc1f450c7d618041303d0ff35691b5991c0

I built it with the command:

image=$(guix system image --image-type=qcow2 --image-size=10G --save-
provenance vm-configs/nextcloud-barebone.scm)
cp $image /tmp/my-image.qcow2
chmod +w /tmp/my-image.qcow2

And start up the machine like this:

qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm -hda /tmp/my-image.qcow2 -m 1000 -net
nic -net user,hostfwd=tcp::5555-:2222,hostfwd=tcp::8888-:80

Attached you find the output and the definition of the image.

I wouldn't have felt the need to 'guix pull' inside the kvm, but a
'guix describe' inside of it showed me it was running on the (never-
updated) root-user's commit instead my user's one (although it starts
up with the kernel-version of the running system):

alice@komputilo ~$ guix describe
 guix a27e47f
 repository URL: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git
 branch: master
 commit: a27e47f9d1e22dc32bb250cfeef88cfacb930e23

I now 'guix pulled' for root and my user to commit
45995eab3ae62ceef89ee223a1bc805738356c1f (and as user also reconfigured
system and home), but the problem persists.

If I just 'su', root keeps seing
a27e47f9d1e22dc32bb250cfeef88cfacb930e23 (from /run/current-
system/profile/bin/guix).  If I 'su -', root turns out to be the one
I'd wish it permanently to be (using 45995 from
/root/.config/guix/current/bin/guix).

It's quite possible, that I messed something up with various 'sudo',
'sudo -i', 'su', and 'su -' variations in the meantime.

It started with a not-(never)-updated root guix, and now there's still
enough of a not-updated root guix left, to keep me away from proceeding
with my vm in a sane way.

Any suggestions on that are highly appreciated,

Best,
Daniel