Subject: bug#54079: 29.0.50; Method dispatching eratically fails

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 02:44:07 +0100

Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]> writes:

> OK.  So the longer I hear nothing from you, the better.  ;-)  Thanks!

Hope is was long enough :-)

I now tried to debug the other thing that is still happening for me -
failing compilation with async-bytecomp.el when updating packages with
M-x list-packages (I CC the maintainers).

In my currently running session I get

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(async-inject-variables "\\`\\(?:load-path\\'\\|byte-\\)")
  ==>
  (setq byte-set-marker 147 byte-optimize--dynamic-vars
        '(#<symbol magit-log-margin at 854429>
          #<symbol magit-status-mode-map at 854375> ...)
        ...)
#+end_src

These symbols with position in that sexp seem to be the, or one, cause
of the trouble.  The symbols directly come from a `mapatoms' call, and
AFAIK this sexp is then `print'ed and sent to another emacs process,
where it causes a `read' error.

What has to be done to fix this one?

TIA,

Michael.