Subject: [bug#54068] [PATCH] Add xmrig and p2pool

From: Maxime Devos <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 11:14:28 +0100

Justin Veilleux schreef op za 19-02-2022 om 18:12 [-0500]:
> +      #~(modify-phases %standard-phases
> +          (replace 'install
> +            ;; There is no 'install' target, we must install xmrig
> manually
> +            (lambda* (#:key outputs #:allow-other-keys)
> +              (use-modules (guix build utils))

'use-modules' currently only behaves well on the top-level, I recommend
moving it into #:modules (see e.g. glibc).

> +              (install-file "xmrig" (string-append (assoc-ref
> outputs "out") "/bin"))

This can be simplified a little by replacing (assoc-ref outputs "out")
--> #$output.

> +              #t)))))

Phases don't have to return #t anymore, this can be removed.

> +    (home-page "https://xmrig.com/")
> +    (synopsis "XMR miner")

I think ‘Monero miner’ would be more descriptive.

> +    (description
> +     "XMRig is a high performance, open source, cross platform
> +RandomX, KawPow, CryptoNight, AstroBWT and GhostRider unified
> CPU/GPU miner
> +and RandomX benchmark.")

This notes many positive qualities of XMRig, but ignores the negative
quantities.  Perhaps you could add something about high energy
consumption?  (See recent thread ‘Excessively energy-consuming software
considered malware?’ on guix-devel (not yet on lists.gnu.org
apparently).)

(I'm assuming here the situation is the same as for Bitcoin, but
I don't actually know if this is the case.)

> +    (license license:gpl3)))

Looking at
<https://github.com/xmrig/xmrig/blob/master/src/App_win.cpp>, it
appears to be gpl3+.

Greetings,
Maxime.