Subject: [bug#54068] [PATCH] Add xmrig and p2pool

From: Maxime Devos <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2022 12:29:47 +0200

Justin Veilleux schreef op di 05-04-2022 om 14:57 [-0400]:
> Finally, since I submitted the patch, I discovered that xmrig, in it's 
> default state, will donate 1% of it's runtime to the developpers' pool. 
> I don't know what is guix's policy on this matter, but I will assume we 
> want it disabled.

IMO, involuntary donations are not donations, but theft.  Or possibly
taxes, but the xmrig developers are not a state (and if they were, you
might not even be part of that state), so not that either.

Maybe as a warning (to people that might install xmrig on non-guix
systems or without a package manager) you could add something like

  Warning: upstream always confiscates a percentage of the results. 
  This anti-functionality has been neutralised in Guix, but possibly
  not in all other distributions.

and move 'disable-default-donation' to a snippet such that
"guix build --source xmrig" returns a ‘safe’ xmrig.

and maybe

  Warning: This software, because of it's nature, has high energy
  consumption, so by using it, you accelerate global warming. 
  Additionally, the energy expenses might be more than the
  cryptocurrency gained by mining.

Greetings
Maxime.