Subject: [bug#54067] [PATCH] gnu: Add python-gym.

From: Maxime Devos <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 20:12:53 +0100

[Please keep [email-masked] in CC, such that other people
can comment]

[email-masked] schreef op zo 20-02-2022 om 19:50 [+0100]:
Of course updating python-importlib-metadata is the natural option,
> I don't intend to submit broken patches. But I'm not sure whether
> updating python-importlib-metadata will be smooth, if I run guix
> refresh -l python-importlib-metadata, it says `Building the following
> 74 packages would ensure 131 dependent packages are rebuilt`. It's a
> lot of packages to comb through.

What I'd usually do for testing is

$ ./pre-inst-env guix build [email-masked] [email-masked] [email-masked] [...]

and verify that the builds succeeded.

If their test suites are good, this should catch most issues.
Python packages are typically relatively cheap to build I think, so this
shouldn't take overly long.

We'll have to update python-importlib-metadata anyway eventually,
and it's not realistic to test each individual dependent manually.

> Is there any policy on testing packages for breakage when upgrading?
> Apologies, I should have asked this earlier.

There's (guix)Submitting patches:

  10. For important changes, check that dependent packages (if
     applicable) are not affected by the change; ‘guix refresh
     --list-dependent PACKAGE’ will help you do that (*note Invoking
     guix refresh::).

[...]

     All these branches are tracked by our build farm
     (https://ci.guix.gnu.org) and merged into ‘master’ once everything
     has been successfully built.  This allows us to fix issues before
     they hit users, and to reduce the window during which pre-built
     binaries are not available.

(so if building the python packages locally takes too long,
perhaps a temporary branch can be set up to let the build farm
take care of building).

Greetings,
Maxime.