Subject: Re: bug#5405: select-frame losing current-buffer

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 09:11:44 +0100

> The documentation of make-frame says that current-buffer continues to
 > selected in the new frame.

The documentation also says that

   The previously selected frame remains selected.  However, the
   window system may select the new frame for its own reasons, for
   instance if the frame appears under the mouse pointer and your
   setup is for focus to follow the pointer.

so the current buffer may change (as described below) in some cases.

 > The documentation of select-frame doesn't
 > say anything about the matter, but one would normally expect that the
 > current-buffer should still remain the same.

The documentation of `select-frame' says

   Subsequent editing commands apply to its selected window.

which inherently means that that frame's selected window becomes the
selected window.  Selecting a window WINDOW means to assure that

   If WINDOW is not already selected, make WINDOW's buffer current
   and make WINDOW the frame's selected window.

Which doesn't mean that the documentation can't be improved ;-)

 > I presume that the space at the beginning of the buffer name is
 > a partial cause of this misbehaviour.

It's not related.

martin