Subject: Re: bug#54042: closed (Re: bug#60505: 29.0.60; Fido Mode and Tramp Completion)

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2023 09:51:11 +0100

Ergus via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text
editors" <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi again:

Hi,

> Somehow I am still getting a similar problem remaining. Why in fido
> mode?:
>
> C-x C-f /ssh:
>
> does not offer a completion list with the hosts or user names or
> anything?

Don't know.

> Actually:
>
> C-x C-f /ssh:<RET>
>
> In opens dired in the home of a random server from my config but I don't
> know how it is selected. What I am missing here?

I'm not sure it is Tramp related. When I call 'emacs -Q -f fido-mode'
and do

C-x C-f /s <RET>

it expands the minibuffer to '/afs/'. So it is fido which selects
(randomly?) one of the completion candidates. According to
icomplete-fido-ret, it isn't randomly, but
(car completion-all-sorted-completions) - and this is empty, because above.

That's why fido opens a selected server, instead of showing it in the
minibuffer.

I don't know whether we shall discuss it here in this bug report (and
friends). Perhaps it is worth a new bug report, because it is about
behavior of <RET>, and not od <TAB>. And we definitely need somebody who
knows fido internals.

> Best,
> Ergus

Best regards, Michael.