Subject: bug#54040: 29.0.50; Text becomes blurry on PGTK/Wayland

From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2022 09:04:34 +0800

Andrew Cohen <[email-masked]> writes:

> cario_surface_create_similar (FRAME_CR_SURFACE (f),
> CAIRO_CONTENT_COLOR_ALPHA, (int) src_rect->width, (int)
> src_rect->height)
>
> I see the comment in the bug thread that this breaks the
> alpha-background, but it seems to work fine for me? I didn't try much,
> just
> (set-frame-parameter (selected-frame) 'alpha-background 85)
> and it behaved exactly as it did without the change.
>
> I notice that the code for gdk_window_create_similar_surface ends up
> calling cairo_surface_create_similar (I think)
>
> I'm happy to continue trying things if you have any other
> suggestions. But maybe the switch to cairo_surface_create_similar is
> OK?

On my system, calling cairo_surface_create_similar and copying from that
always results in the contents copied being fully opaque.

Maybe you are using some different GDK visual class?  Sadly, I don't
know how to extract that information on Wayland, but it should be
somewhere inside the GTK inspector (evaluate "(x-gtk-debug") for it to
show up.)

Thanks.