Subject: bug#54033: Fwd: bug#54033: Calibre's ebook-viewer only shows white-on-white or dark-on-dark.

From: Jacob MacDonald <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2022 23:05:45 -0600

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, Feb 18, 2022 at 10:28 PM
Subject: Re: bug#54033: Calibre's ebook-viewer only shows
white-on-white or dark-on-dark.
To: Jacob MacDonald <[email-masked]>

In general, when bisecting a range of commits that includes merge
commits, you should use the --first-parent option, which basically
does the right thing with the merge when choosing commits to test.

Can you keep trying and let us know the results? If it becomes
infeasible, let us know and we can arrange to run the bisection next
week (on vacation).

Calibre is one of the flagship free software applications so let's
work together to fix it :)

On Fri, Feb 18, 2022, at 21:52, Jacob MacDonald wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 17, 2022 at 5:41 PM Leo Famulari <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Did you check if this bug has been reported upstream?
>
> I gave the Launchpad a cursory check but wasn't able to find what I
> was looking for.
>
> In addition, I scrolled back through the Git history a ways and found
> a commit that seems to have working Calibre at the same version.
>
> $ guix time-machine --commit=9d25ee30b188f9202cc14f7cd25ba8a1c3ec1a72
> -- package --show=calibre
> name: calibre
> version: 5.21.0
> ,,,
>
> $ guix time-machine --commit=9d25ee30b188f9202cc14f7cd25ba8a1c3ec1a72
> -- shell calibre -- ebook-viewer
>
> brings up a working version of the reader.
>
> Thank you for the information about the time-machine command.
>
> I started to do a Git bisect on my copy of the repository, but found
> that it was intractable to build the versions of Guix necessary. Part
> of that seems to be related to some merges: Some of the candidate
> commits had dates from 2020 on them and the candidate set was rather
> large. Is there a smarter way to hunt down the commit where Calibre
> broke?