Subject: 29.0.50; *scratch* buffer defaults to dynamic scoping when initial-major-mode 'emacs-lisp-mode

From: No Wayman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2022 17:13:33 -0500

With the following minimal init.el the initial *scratch* buffer 
does not have lexical binding enabled:

(setq initial-buffer t
      initial-major-mode 'emacs-lisp-mode)

Bug, or my misunderstanding?

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 
3.24.31, cairo version 1.17.4)
 of 2022-02-16 built on nbook
Repository revision: 8737d79be8f82bb12ca12dc1a7de37a4d2875f39
Repository branch: master
System Description: Arch Linux

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var --mandir=/usr/share/man 
 --with-gameuser=:games
 --with-sound=alsa --with-modules --without-libotf 
 --without-m17n-flt
 --without-gconf --without-gsettings --with-native-compilation
 --with-xinput2 --with-pgtk --without-xaw3d --with-sound=no
 --without-gpm --without-compress-install
 '--program-transform-name=s/\([ec]tags\)/\1.emacs/'
 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fno-plt 
 -fexceptions
 -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -Wformat -Werror=format-security
 -fstack-clash-protection -fcf-protection'
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,-z,now'
Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON 
LCMS2
LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PGTK 
PNG
RSVG SECCOMP SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP XIM 
GTK3 ZLIB
Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix