Subject: bug#54016: closed (Re: bug#54016: 29.0.50; TRAMP + sshfs says constantly that file changed)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2022 19:29:02 +0000

Your bug report

#54016: 29.0.50; TRAMP + sshfs says constantly that file changed 

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
54016: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=54016
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#54016: 29.0.50; TRAMP + sshfs says constantly that file changed
From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
To: Ergus <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], "Ergus via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2022 20:28:31 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 28.2

Ergus <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi:

Hi,

> The patch seems to solve the issue for me.
>
> Feel free to close the issue.

Thanks for the feedback, I've pushed the patch (slightly enhanced) to
master. Will also appear with Tramp 2.5.2.2, the next GNU ELPA Tramp
release. Closing the bug.

> Very thanks!!
> Ergus

Best regards, Michael.

Subject: 29.0.50; TRAMP + sshfs says constantly that file changed
From: Ergus <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2022 21:17:12 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi:

Using tramp+sshfs it works pretty much fine at the beginning but after
some minutes it interrupts constantly saying that the file changed on
disk and asks for edit confirmation.

By constantly I mean every time a new edit is attempt I get this (even
several times consecutive).

```
Saving file /sshfs:XXX:XXXX
benchmarks_ompss.h has changed since visited or saved.  Save anyway? (y or n) y
benchmarks_ompss.h changed on disk; really edit the buffer? (y, n, r or C-h) y
File on disk now will become a backup file if you save these changes.
Wrote /sshfs:XXX:XXXX
```

I have enabled auto revert with this variables since ever:

auto-revert-verbose nil
auto-revert-avoid-polling t

but this is the first time I experiment such issue.

I use /scp or /ssh protocols every single day and I don't have this
issue.

Best,
Ergus

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 69, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.31, cairo version 1.17.4)
 of 2022-02-15 built on Ergus
Repository revision: 2d573afecb69c7638991c49dad39e414585db13f
Repository branch: master
System Description: Arch Linux

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/home/ergo/.local/ --with-mailutils --with-json
 --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-xft --with-wide-int --with-modules
 --with-cairo --with-harfbuzz --with-native-compilation --with-pgtk'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER
PGTK PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
WEBP XIM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  xclip-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  flyspell-mode: t
  company-mode: t
  flycheck-mode: t
  diff-hl-margin-mode: t
  counsel-mode: t
  ivy-mode: t
  composable-mark-mode: t
  composable-mode: t
  repeat-mode: t
  xterm-mouse-mode: t
  minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  global-display-fill-column-indicator-mode: t
  display-fill-column-indicator-mode: t
  global-display-line-numbers-mode: t
  display-line-numbers-mode: t
  which-key-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  context-menu-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  size-indication-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
~/gits/emacs_clones/composable/composable-mark hides /home/ergo/.config/emacs/elpa/composable-20201024.1458/composable-mark
~/gits/emacs_clones/composable/composable hides /home/ergo/.config/emacs/elpa/composable-20201024.1458/composable
/home/ergo/.config/emacs/elpa/transient-20220130.1941/transient hides /home/ergo/.local/share/emacs/29.0.50/lisp/transient

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail misearch multi-isearch
mm-archive message yank-media rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util time-date mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
mail-utils gnutls network-stream url-cache crm debbugs-gnu add-log
debbugs soap-client mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode url-http url-auth
mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr url-gw
nsm rmc puny url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util url-parse auth-source
password-cache url-vars mailcap rng-xsd rng-dt rng-util xsd-regexp xml
autorevert filenotify xclip elec-pair flyspell-correct-ivy
flyspell-correct flyspell ispell company-semantic company-template
company-capf company flycheck json map find-func dash pcase
diff-hl-margin diff-hl-dired diff-hl log-view pcvs-util vc-dir ewoc vc
vc-dispatcher diff-mode thingatpt amx comp comp-cstr warnings s cape
counsel xdg advice xref project dired dired-loaddefs compile
text-property-search comint ansi-color swiper ivy-avy avy ivy flx
ivy-faces ivy-overlay colir color term/tmux term/xterm xterm init
composable composable-mark repeat xt-mouse edmacro kmacro mb-depth
simple-16-theme winner ring saveplace delsel savehist
display-fill-column-indicator display-line-numbers diminish which-key
cl-extra help-mode use-package use-package-ensure use-package-delight
use-package-diminish use-package-bind-key bind-key easy-mmode
use-package-core disp-table info ede/auto eieio-base cl-seq eieio seq
subr-x byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv eieio-core cl-macs gv
eieio-loaddefs cl-loaddefs cl-lib tex-site rx slime-autoloads early-init
iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/pgtk-win pgtk-win term/common-win
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote threads
dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
cairo gtk pgtk lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process native-compile
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 485623 57217)
 (symbols 48 20041 0)
 (strings 32 94957 25726)
 (string-bytes 1 2793996)
 (vectors 16 34589)
 (vector-slots 8 660977 133169)
 (floats 8 2581 578)
 (intervals 56 13070 1354)
 (buffers 992 12))