Subject: bug#54016: 29.0.50; TRAMP + sshfs says constantly that file changed

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2022 09:28:13 +0100

Ergus via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text
editors" <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi:

Hi,

> Using tramp+sshfs it works pretty much fine at the beginning but after
> some minutes it interrupts constantly saying that the file changed on
> disk and asks for edit confirmation.
>
> By constantly I mean every time a new edit is attempt I get this (even
> several times consecutive).
>
> ```
> Saving file /sshfs:XXX:XXXX
> benchmarks_ompss.h has changed since visited or saved.  Save anyway? (y or n) y
> benchmarks_ompss.h changed on disk; really edit the buffer? (y, n, r or C-h) y
> File on disk now will become a backup file if you save these changes.
> Wrote /sshfs:XXX:XXXX
> ```

Well, I would need a recipe to reproduce. Could you run it, when
tramp-verbose is set to 10? And please tell me at which time the problem
starts to appear, so I have a chance to find it in the debug buffer.

I know that the debug buffer will be huge after a while, but there is no
problem if you send it directly to me (or a URL where I could find it).

> I have enabled auto revert with this variables since ever:
>
> auto-revert-verbose nil
> auto-revert-avoid-polling t
>
> but this is the first time I experiment such issue.

The sshfs Tramp method does not support (remote) file
notifications. Auto-revert could work only with polling for this method.

> Best,
> Ergus

Best regards, Michael.