Subject: Re: bug#54001: 29.0.50; abbreviate-file-name has side-effects

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2022 09:52:43 +0100

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Jim, Stefan,

>> I've only lightly tested this patch, but I think it should resolve the
>> issue. It only sets the "home-directory" connection property when
>> a connection is already established. Otherwise, it just uses the cached
>> value (if any).
>
> Thanks Jim.
>
> Michael, I assume you'll want to take care of this patch.  Let me know
> if you prefer that I install it, of course,

Yes, it is OK. Please install.

>> Maybe there's a cleaner way to do this though; opportunistically setting
>> a connection property like this seems like something there might be
>> a special function for in Tramp, but I didn't see one after a bit of looking
>> so this is what I went with.

I've recently made some changes for home directories in the other Tramp
backends. Likely, I need to revise these settings once the patch has
arrived on master.

>         Stefan

Best regards, Michael.