Subject: Re: bug#54001: 29.0.50; abbreviate-file-name has side-effects

From: Jim Porter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2022 12:52:22 -0800

On 2/14/2022 11:48 AM, Stefan Monnier via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the 
Swiss army knife of text editors wrote:
>>> I suggest we take a step back and think of how to get that feature
>>> without having to contact any remote host during `abbreviate-file-name`.
>>> Maybe we can do that by making Tramp opportunistically add entries to
>>> `directory-abbrev-alist` when it performs expansion?
[snip]
>> Another option might be to store the abbreviations for a given
>> file-name-handler somewhere internally and consult that when calling that
>> file-name-handler's implementation of `abbreviate-file-name'.
> 
> That would work as well.

Looking at my original patch again, this value is already cached as a 
Tramp connection property named "home-directory". If the code were 
changed to set that connection property in a more-appropriate place, and 
`tramp-handle-abbreviate-file-name' simply *reads* that connection 
property, then I think that should resolve this issue.