Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/2] Not showing upgraded/added packages in 'guix pull'

From: Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2022 11:30:50 +0100

Hi Ludo,

Am Donnerstag, dem 17.02.2022 um 11:19 +0100 schrieb Ludovic Courtès:
> Hi,
> 
> Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]> skribis:
> 
> > Am Montag, dem 14.02.2022 um 17:38 +0100 schrieb Ludovic Courtès:
> > > Hello!
> > > 
> > > As a followup to <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/53909>, these
> > > patches
> > > remove the list of added/upgraded packages from the output of
> > > ‘guix pull’ (upon completion) and ‘guix pull --news’.
> 
> [...]
> 
> > >   pull: '--news' no longer shows package lists.
> > >   pull: No longer print upgraded/added packages upon completion.
> > What if I wanted that information however?
> 
> Is it an actual use case or speculation?
That's a use case.  While --dry-run exists, I don't really want it to
serve double duty here.  If I previously guix pulled and only three new
packages were added, none of which I'm interested in, I would not have
to meaninglessly run further build commands like guix package or guix
system.  Even if the list is potentially longer, I could visually grep
for a few packages I'm interested in and determine whether it'd make
sense to build now or wait for a little while as I'm processing other
things.

> > Does `guix pull --news -- details` still give it to me?
> 
> Not with this patch, but we could do that *if* there’s a need.
> 
> > I don't really want to do `guix pull -l 1d --details` instead.
> 
> OK.  So far, my impression was that this information was hardly used
> at all, which is why it seemed reasonable to keep it behind ‘--
> details --list-generations’.
> 
> I’m open to supporting ‘--news --details’, but only if it corresponds
> to a real use case.
In general, it doesn't have to be named ‘--news --details’, but a means
of diffing two generations via the CLI -- in particular the current one
to the last -- would be very welcome, because then all information we
previously had would still be available quite easily, albeit no longer
printed by default.

Cheers