Subject: Re: bug#53998: Guix pull always gets stuck at ~80% on fresh i686 1.3.0 install

From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2022 13:56:15 -0500

On Mon, Feb 14, 2022 at 04:16:09PM +0000, Ahmad Draidi wrote:
> Running 'guix pull' on a fresh basic install of Guix System 1.3.0 for i686
> gets stuck at around 80%.

Okay, can you share the result of `guix describe` to confirm what
revision of Guix you're using?

Can you use strace to see what it's doing when it's stuck?

For example, you can `guix install strace` as root, and then run this
(again, as root):

`strace -f /proc/$(pgrep guix-daemon)/exe | tee log`

You might compress the resulting log before emailing it:

`xz log`

> I tested this on a Pentium 4 32bits laptop with 786MB RAM at first, and
> then switched to a VM with 8 GBs RAM, 2+ cores, 60GBs SSD to avoid any
> resources issues.

786MB RAM is definitely not enough to use Guix currently, sorry. But 8GB
RAM is more than enough. We do want to reduce the resource requirements
but it's not a priority, since most people have at least 2GB. Help
wanted!

> Terminal log of one of the runs and config.scm attached.

The log seems to contain a lot of extraneous information. Is the problem
that it stops making progress while building
'/gnu/store/00bgnqkqyf0k865gx4ps9fliysidxz61-guix-packages-base.drv'?