Subject: Re: bug#53981: 28.0.91; shortdoc: Add support for outline-minor-mode

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2022 10:29:23 +0100

Kévin Le Gouguec <[email-masked]> writes:

> I have not found the time to dig into outline.el to understand how this
> could be pulled off yet.  FWIW though, issues such as the one we're
> seeing now with shortdoc comfort me in the idea that this is a
> fundamental problem with outline.el (although a mostly aesthetic one,
> granted).

Yeah, I think it's an issue in outline (that should be fixed).

>   I'm also reminded of bug#51016, where we debated whether FORM FEEDs
>   belonged in outline-regexp; I'm seeing a pattern with shortdoc's
>   separator lines, and I wonder if outline.el should grow a concept of
>   "section separators".
>
>   That would allow us to stop conflating FORM FEEDs with level-1
>   headings, letting outline-forward-same-level do DTRT, yet keeping the
>   ^L displayed even when folding all top-level headings, which IIRC was
>   a contentious issue in that bug report

As previously discussed in some other bug report *vague hand wave*, it
makes no sense to use regexps for outline in generated buffers.  The
functions that generate the buffers knows what's a heading, and should
mark the headings properly (with text properties), and
outline-minor-mode should just react to these text properties in these
buffers.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no