Subject: bug#53981: 28.0.91; shortdoc: Add support for outline-minor-mode

From: Daniel Mendler <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2022 15:29:58 +0100

On 2/14/22 15:18, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
>> With this setting, the separator line generally looks better and less
>> obtrusive. So we may want to consider using no background and
>> `:underline t` instead? With outline mode folding the separator line is
>> still visible, but doesn't disturb the visuals so severely.
> 
> I think the separator line looks fine the way it is, so if we're to
> enable outline-minor-mode in that buffer, the outlining will have to be
> adjusted to take that into account.

If you want to keep the separator as is, I am not sure if we can solve
the outline display issue, since it is an artifact of the current
separator face. Maybe it would help to introduce an additional line of
small height after the separator line, such that an outline-folded block
will not end with the separator line?

I like to have good outline support since it also helps with commands
like my `consult-outline` and `counsel-outline`, which can be used to
browse and export a TOC. For me, there is more to outlines than folding
only.

But overall I don't feel strongly about this - it is a minor feature. I
can just keep outline support in my user config in combination with the
single pixel separator lines, which looks better. ;)

Daniel