Subject: bug#5396: Something in splash page causes Emacs to crash?

From: Joseph Tam <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 19:11:32 -0800 (PST)

Under certain circumstances, emacs crashes on startup.  I hope I have
provided enough details for you to figure it out, or at least, so that
you can refer me for more diagnostics.

Using a X11 thin client,  I could not recreate this problem by using
emacs directly on the installed host, but rather, I ssh -X from an
intermediary host, then ran emacs:

 	thin client <- X11 -> intermediary host <- "ssh -X" -> emacs

I have looked at etc/PROBLEMS, and none of those cases seem to apply (but
truthfully, the file is so overwhelmingly large I might have missed
the correct one while skimming).

Hmm, I notice something weird.  It won't crash if I do "emacs -v" or
some other flag it doesn't understand.  If I avoid the splash-page,
it also doesn't crash:

 	# Does not crash
 	emacs -blah
 	emacs --no-splash

emacs --version

 	GNU Emacs 23.1.1
 	Copyright (C) 2009 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
 	GNU Emacs comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
 	You may redistribute copies of Emacs
 	under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
 	For more information about these matters, see the file named COPYING.

uname -a of host running emacs:
 	SunOS zap 5.10 Generic_137111-08 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-2

Configure options:

 	configure \
 		--mandir=/usr/local/man \
 		--infodir=/usr/local/info \
 		--with-x \
 		--with-x-toolkit=athena \
 		--without-gif \
 		--without-jpeg \
 		--without-png \
 		--without-tiff \
 		--without-xpm \
 		--without-xim

Output of Emacs

 	Fatal error (6)Abort

Backtrace and value dumps

 	(gdb) run
 	Starting program: /nfs/build/Emacs/emacs-23.1/src/emacs

 	Breakpoint 1, abort () at emacs.c:432
 	432       kill (getpid (), SIGABRT);

 	(gdb) bt
 	#0  abort () at emacs.c:432
 	#1  0x0017ef30 in font_parse_xlfd (name=0x8 <Address 0x8 out of bounds>, font=-2138962232) at font.c:1131
 	#2  0x001c8130 in xfont_list_pattern (display=0x7c5a80,
 	    pattern=0xffbfc198 "-adobe-helvetica-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1", registry=540807248, script=540533584)
 	    at xfont.c:414
 	#3  0x001c86b4 in xfont_list (frame=536870911, spec=-2143545280) at xfont.c:525
 	#4  0x00185adc in font_list_entities (frame=-2138889936, spec=-2138978624) at font.c:2855
 	#5  0x001862a8 in font_find_for_lface (f=0x832130, attrs=0xffbfc7a8, spec=-2139935872, c=-1) at font.c:3406
 	#6  0x001868f4 in font_load_for_lface (f=0x1fffffff, attrs=0xffbfc7a8, spec=2) at font.c:3476
 	#7  0x000ce94c in realize_face (cache=0x80d078, attrs=0xffbfc7a8, former_face_id=8518864) at xfaces.c:5893
 	#8  0x000cfaf0 in lookup_face (f=0x0, attr=0xffbfc7a8) at xfaces.c:4723
 	#9  0x000d13d8 in face_at_buffer_position (w=0x0, pos=5, region_beg=-1, region_end=-1, endptr=0xffbfc874,
 	    limit=8617312, mouse=0, base_face_id=0) at xfaces.c:6360
 	#10 0x0005ea3c in handle_face_prop (it=0xffbfd430) at xdisp.c:3447
 	#11 0x000614e0 in handle_stop (it=0xffbfd430) at xdisp.c:3134
 	#12 0x000644e8 in next_element_from_buffer (it=0xffbfd430) at xdisp.c:6499
 	#13 0x00062760 in get_next_display_element (it=0xffbfd430) at xdisp.c:5676
 	#14 0x0006c318 in display_line (it=0xffbfd430) at xdisp.c:16624
 	#15 0x0006d708 in try_window (window=8594104, pos={charpos = 1, bytepos = 1}, check_margins=1) at xdisp.c:14075
 	#16 0x00075160 in redisplay_window (window=-2138889544, just_this_one_p=0) at xdisp.c:13698
 	#17 0x00076e3c in redisplay_window_0 (window=-2138889544) at xdisp.c:12293
 	#18 0x0016cee0 in internal_condition_case_1 (bfun=0x76e0c <redisplay_window_0>, arg=-2138889544,
 	    handlers=-1606920816, hfun=0x689b8 <redisplay_window_error>) at eval.c:1560
 	#19 0x00068700 in redisplay_windows (window=-2138889544) at xdisp.c:12272
 	#20 0x00078ee0 in redisplay_internal (preserve_echo_area=3612672) at xdisp.c:11844
 	#21 0x001082b8 in read_char (commandflag=1, nmaps=3, maps=0xffbff548, prev_event=540533584,
 	    used_mouse_menu=0xffbff570, end_time=0x0) at keyboard.c:2709
 	#22 0x0010ba2c in read_key_sequence (keybuf=0xffbff6e0, bufsize=30, prompt=540533584, dont_downcase_last=0,
 	    can_return_switch_frame=1, fix_current_buffer=1) at keyboard.c:9460
 	#23 0x0010de80 in command_loop_1 () at keyboard.c:1642
 	#24 0x0016d1a8 in internal_condition_case (bfun=0x10dc94 <command_loop_1>, handlers=540595464,
 	    hfun=0x105990 <cmd_error>) at eval.c:1512
 	#25 0x000ff120 in command_loop_2 () at keyboard.c:1359
 	#26 0x0016cdc4 in internal_catch (tag=540591592, func=0xff0fc <command_loop_2>, arg=540533584) at eval.c:1248
 	#27 0x000fee80 in command_loop () at keyboard.c:1338
 	#28 0x000fef78 in recursive_edit_1 () at keyboard.c:953
 	#29 0x000ff0dc in Frecursive_edit () at keyboard.c:1015
 	#30 0x000fe9dc in main (argc=1, argv=0xffbffc54) at emacs.c:1852

 	(gdb) up
 	#1  0x0017ef30 in font_parse_xlfd (name=0x8 <Address 0x8 out of bounds>,
 	    font=-2142319328) at font.c:1131
 	1131                  font_assert (FONT_SPEC_P (font));

 	(gdb) pr font
 	The history is empty.

 	(gdb) call debug_print(font)
 	#<font-entity nil adobe helvetica x iso8859-1 medium r normal nil nil nil nil nil>

strace -otrace.out emacs; emacs; grep -E '^open' trace.out
 	open("/var/ld/ld.config", O_RDONLY)		= 3
 	open("/usr/local/lib/libXaw3d.so.6.1", O_RDONLY) = 3
 	open("/usr/openwin/lib/libXmu.so.4", O_RDONLY)	= 3
 	open("/usr/openwin/lib/libXt.so.4", O_RDONLY)	= 3
 	open("/usr/openwin/lib/libSM.so.6", O_RDONLY)	= 3
 	open("/usr/openwin/lib/libICE.so.6", O_RDONLY)	= 3
 	open("/usr/openwin/lib/libXext.so.0", O_RDONLY)	= 3
 	open("/usr/openwin/lib/libX11.so.4", O_RDONLY)	= 3
 	open("/lib/libresolv.so.2", O_RDONLY)		= 3
 	open("/lib/libsocket.so.1", O_RDONLY)		= 3
 	open("/lib/libnsl.so.1", O_RDONLY)		= 3
 	open("/lib/libkstat.so.1", O_RDONLY)		= 3
 	open("/lib/libcurses.so.1", O_RDONLY)		= 3
 	open("/lib/libm.so.2", O_RDONLY)		= 3
 	open("/lib/libc.so.1", O_RDONLY)		= 3
 	open("/platform/SUNW,Ultra-2/lib/libc_psr.so.1", O_RDONLY) = 3
 	open("/etc/netconfig", O_RDONLY|O_LARGEFILE)	= 3
 	open("/dev/udp", O_RDONLY)			= 3
 	open64("/var/run/name_service_door", O_RDONLY)	= 3
 	open("/etc/default/nss", O_RDONLY|O_LARGEFILE)	= 4
 	open("/nfs/tam/.Xauthority", O_RDONLY)		= 5
 	open64("/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1/site-lisp/subdirs.el", O_RDONLY) = 4
 	open64("/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1/site-lisp/subdirs.el", O_RDONLY) = 4
 	open64("/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1/site-lisp/subdirs.el", O_RDONLY) = 4
 	openat(-3041965, "/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1/site-lisp", O_RDONLY|O_NDELAY|O_LARGEFILE) = 4
 	open64("/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/subdirs.el", O_RDONLY) = 4
 	open64("/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/subdirs.el", O_RDONLY) = 4
 	open64("/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/subdirs.el", O_RDONLY) = 4
 	openat(-3041965, "/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp", O_RDONLY|O_NDELAY|O_LARGEFILE) = 4
 	openat(-3041965, "/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex", O_RDONLY|O_NDELAY|O_LARGEFILE) = 4
 	openat(-3041965, "/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/images", O_RDONLY|O_NDELAY|O_LARGEFILE) = 4
 	open64("/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1/lisp/subdirs.el", O_RDONLY) = 4
 	open64("/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1/lisp/subdirs.el", O_RDONLY) = 4
 	open64("/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1/lisp/subdirs.el", O_RDONLY) = 4
 	open64("/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1/leim/leim-list.el", O_RDONLY) = 4
 	open64("/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1/leim/leim-list.el", O_RDONLY) = 4
 	open64("/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1/leim/leim-list.el", O_RDONLY) = 4
 	open("/nfs/tam/.Xauthority", O_RDONLY)		= 5
 	open("/nfs/tam/.Xauthority", O_RDONLY)		= 5
 	open("/usr/openwin/lib/locale/locale.alias", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/usr/openwin/lib/locale/locale.dir", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/usr/openwin/lib/locale/locale.alias", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/usr/openwin/lib/locale/locale.alias", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/usr/openwin/lib/locale/locale.dir", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/nfs/tam/.Xdefaults-zap", O_RDONLY)	Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/usr/X11/lib/libXcursor.so.1", O_RDONLY)	= 5
 	open("/usr/openwin/sfw/lib/libXrender.so.1", O_RDONLY) = 5
 	open("/nfs/tam/.icons/default/cursors/sb_v_double_arrow", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/nfs/tam/.icons/default/index.theme", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/usr/share/icons/default/cursors/sb_v_double_arrow", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/usr/share/icons/default/index.theme", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/usr/share/pixmaps/default/cursors/sb_v_double_arrow", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/usr/share/pixmaps/default/index.theme", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/nfs/tam/.Xdefaults-zap", O_RDONLY)	Err#2 ENOENT
 	open64("/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1/etc/charsets/MULE-tibetan.map", O_RDONLY) = 5
 	open64("/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1/etc/charsets/MULE-ethiopic.map", O_RDONLY) = 5
 	open64("/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1/etc/charsets/MULE-ipa.map", O_RDONLY) = 5
 	open64("/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1/etc/charsets/symbol.map", O_RDONLY) = 5
 	open64("/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1/lisp/simple.elc", O_RDONLY) = 5
 	open("/usr/openwin/lib/X11/Xcms.txt", O_RDONLY)	= 5
 	open64("/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1/etc/charsets/8859-15.map", O_RDONLY) = 5
 	open("/nfs/tam/.icons/default/cursors/xterm", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/nfs/tam/.icons/default/index.theme", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/usr/share/icons/default/cursors/xterm", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/usr/share/icons/default/index.theme", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/usr/share/pixmaps/default/cursors/xterm", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/usr/share/pixmaps/default/index.theme", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/nfs/tam/.icons/default/cursors/left_ptr", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/nfs/tam/.icons/default/index.theme", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/usr/share/icons/default/cursors/left_ptr", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/usr/share/icons/default/index.theme", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/usr/share/pixmaps/default/cursors/left_ptr", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/usr/share/pixmaps/default/index.theme", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/nfs/tam/.icons/default/cursors/watch", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/nfs/tam/.icons/default/index.theme", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/usr/share/icons/default/cursors/watch", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/usr/share/icons/default/index.theme", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/usr/share/pixmaps/default/cursors/watch", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/usr/share/pixmaps/default/index.theme", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/nfs/tam/.icons/default/cursors/xterm", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/nfs/tam/.icons/default/index.theme", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/usr/share/icons/default/cursors/xterm", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/usr/share/icons/default/index.theme", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/usr/share/pixmaps/default/cursors/xterm", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/usr/share/pixmaps/default/index.theme", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/nfs/tam/.icons/default/cursors/hand2", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/nfs/tam/.icons/default/index.theme", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/usr/share/icons/default/cursors/hand2", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/usr/share/icons/default/index.theme", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/usr/share/pixmaps/default/cursors/hand2", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/usr/share/pixmaps/default/index.theme", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/nfs/tam/.icons/default/cursors/sb_h_double_arrow", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/nfs/tam/.icons/default/index.theme", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/usr/share/icons/default/cursors/sb_h_double_arrow", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/usr/share/icons/default/index.theme", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/usr/share/pixmaps/default/cursors/sb_h_double_arrow", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/usr/share/pixmaps/default/index.theme", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/nfs/tam/.icons/default/cursors/sb_v_double_arrow", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/nfs/tam/.icons/default/index.theme", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/usr/share/icons/default/cursors/sb_v_double_arrow", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/usr/share/icons/default/index.theme", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/usr/share/pixmaps/default/cursors/sb_v_double_arrow", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/usr/share/pixmaps/default/index.theme", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/nfs/tam/.icons/default/cursors/sb_h_double_arrow", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/nfs/tam/.icons/default/index.theme", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/usr/share/icons/default/cursors/sb_h_double_arrow", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/usr/share/icons/default/index.theme", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/usr/share/pixmaps/default/cursors/sb_h_double_arrow", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/usr/share/pixmaps/default/index.theme", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/nfs/tam/.icons/default/cursors/sb_left_arrow", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/nfs/tam/.icons/default/index.theme", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/usr/share/icons/default/cursors/sb_left_arrow", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/usr/share/icons/default/index.theme", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/usr/share/pixmaps/default/cursors/sb_left_arrow", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/usr/share/pixmaps/default/index.theme", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/nfs/tam/.icons/default/cursors/sb_up_arrow", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/nfs/tam/.icons/default/index.theme", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/usr/share/icons/default/cursors/sb_up_arrow", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/usr/share/icons/default/index.theme", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/usr/share/pixmaps/default/cursors/sb_up_arrow", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/usr/share/pixmaps/default/index.theme", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/nfs/tam/.icons/default/cursors/sb_down_arrow", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/nfs/tam/.icons/default/index.theme", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/usr/share/icons/default/cursors/sb_down_arrow", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/usr/share/icons/default/index.theme", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/usr/share/pixmaps/default/cursors/sb_down_arrow", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/usr/share/pixmaps/default/index.theme", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/nfs/tam/.icons/default/cursors/sb_right_arrow", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/nfs/tam/.icons/default/index.theme", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/usr/share/icons/default/cursors/sb_right_arrow", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/usr/share/icons/default/index.theme", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/usr/share/pixmaps/default/cursors/sb_right_arrow", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/usr/share/pixmaps/default/index.theme", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open64("/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1/etc/HELLO", O_RDONLY) = 5
 	open("/nfs/tam/.icons/default/cursors/right_ptr", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/nfs/tam/.icons/default/index.theme", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/usr/share/icons/default/cursors/right_ptr", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/usr/share/icons/default/index.theme", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/usr/share/pixmaps/default/cursors/right_ptr", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open("/usr/share/pixmaps/default/index.theme", O_RDONLY) Err#2 ENOENT
 	open64("/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.el", O_RDONLY) = 5
 	open64("/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.el", O_RDONLY) = 5
 	open64("/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.el", O_RDONLY) = 5
 	open64("/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1/etc/images/splash.pbm", O_RDONLY) = 5
 	open64("/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1/etc/images/splash.pbm", O_RDONLY) = 5
 	open64("/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1/etc/images/splash.pbm", O_RDONLY) = 5
 	open64("/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1/etc/images/splash.pbm", O_RDONLY) = 5
 	open64("/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1/etc/images/splash.pbm", O_RDONLY) = 5
 	open64("/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1/etc/images/splash.pbm", O_RDONLY) = 5
 	open64("/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1/etc/images/splash.pbm", O_RDONLY) = 5
 	open64("/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1/etc/images/splash.pbm", O_RDONLY) = 5
 	open64("/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1/etc/tutorials/TUTORIAL", O_RDONLY) = 5
 	open("/usr/share/lib/zoneinfo/Canada/Pacific", O_RDONLY) = 5
 	open64("/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1/etc/HELLO", O_RDONLY) = 5
 	open64("/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1/etc/images/new.pbm", O_RDONLY) = 5
 	open64("/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1/etc/images/new.pbm", O_RDONLY) = 5
 	open64("/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1/etc/images/new.pbm", O_RDONLY) = 5
 	open64("/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1/etc/images/open.pbm", O_RDONLY) = 5
 	open64("/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1/etc/images/open.pbm", O_RDONLY) = 5
 	open64("/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1/etc/images/open.pbm", O_RDONLY) = 5
 	open64("/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1/etc/images/diropen.pbm", O_RDONLY) = 5
 	open64("/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1/etc/images/diropen.pbm", O_RDONLY) = 5
 	open64("/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1/etc/images/diropen.pbm", O_RDONLY) = 5
 	open64("/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1/etc/images/close.pbm", O_RDONLY) = 5
 	open64("/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1/etc/images/close.pbm", O_RDONLY) = 5
 	open64("/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1/etc/images/close.pbm", O_RDONLY) = 5
 	open64("/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1/etc/images/save.pbm", O_RDONLY) = 5
 	open64("/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1/etc/images/save.pbm", O_RDONLY) = 5
 	open64("/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1/etc/images/save.pbm", O_RDONLY) = 5
 	open64("/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1/etc/images/saveas.pbm", O_RDONLY) = 5
 	open64("/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1/etc/images/saveas.pbm", O_RDONLY) = 5
 	open64("/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1/etc/images/saveas.pbm", O_RDONLY) = 5
 	open64("/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1/etc/images/undo.pbm", O_RDONLY) = 5
 	open64("/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1/etc/images/undo.pbm", O_RDONLY) = 5
 	open64("/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1/etc/images/undo.pbm", O_RDONLY) = 5
 	open64("/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1/etc/images/cut.pbm", O_RDONLY) = 5
 	open64("/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1/etc/images/cut.pbm", O_RDONLY) = 5
 	open64("/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1/etc/images/cut.pbm", O_RDONLY) = 5
 	open64("/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1/etc/images/copy.pbm", O_RDONLY) = 5
 	open64("/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1/etc/images/copy.pbm", O_RDONLY) = 5
 	open64("/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1/etc/images/copy.pbm", O_RDONLY) = 5
 	open64("/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1/etc/images/paste.pbm", O_RDONLY) = 5
 	open64("/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1/etc/images/paste.pbm", O_RDONLY) = 5
 	open64("/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1/etc/images/paste.pbm", O_RDONLY) = 5
 	open64("/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1/etc/images/search.pbm", O_RDONLY) = 5
 	open64("/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1/etc/images/search.pbm", O_RDONLY) = 5
 	open64("/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1/etc/images/search.pbm", O_RDONLY) = 5
 	open64("/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1/etc/images/print.pbm", O_RDONLY) = 5
 	open64("/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1/etc/images/print.pbm", O_RDONLY) = 5
 	open64("/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1/etc/images/print.pbm", O_RDONLY) = 5
 	open64("/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1/etc/images/preferences.pbm", O_RDONLY) = 5
 	open64("/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1/etc/images/preferences.pbm", O_RDONLY) = 5
 	open64("/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1/etc/images/preferences.pbm", O_RDONLY) = 5
 	open64("/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1/etc/images/help.pbm", O_RDONLY) = 5
 	open64("/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1/etc/images/help.pbm", O_RDONLY) = 5
 	open64("/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1/etc/images/help.pbm", O_RDONLY) = 5
 	open64("/nfs/tam/.emacs.d/auto-save-list/.saves-10614-zap~", O_WRONLY|O_CREAT|O_TRUNC, 0666) Err#2 ENOENT

Misc. details

 	- no user ~/.emacs* installed

 	- some site-lisp packages (like AUCTeX) installed.
 	Hopefully, the process trace output of open() calls will
 	give you an idea of what's been installed (not much).

Joseph Tam <[email-masked]>