Subject: Re: bug#53957: 29.0.50; pgtk: starting emacsclient from thunar breaks X clipboard access

From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2022 16:17:19 +0800

> Is --with-xinput2 supposed to work well without PGTK ? I run into a
> separate issue with key bindings that makes it unusable without.

`--with-xinput2' does nothing on PGTK, but it enables the use of the X
Input Extension on X, which brings support for modern input devices to
the X port.  (And that support is supposed to work better than PGTK,
since you get touchpad gestures and touchscreen support, both of which
aren't available in PGTK on X.)

Please report the separate issue as a bug, if it hasn't been fixed
already on master.

XInput 2 support will eventually be enabled by default, so it's vital
for it to get a lot of testing.

> Indeed, (x-diplay-list) originally reports (":0.0"), and after the
> second frame is created, (":0.0" ":0").

I see you're launching /usr/bin/emacsclient -- emacsclient from a PGTK
build differs from one from a different build, so are you sure it's the
right emacsclient binary?

> If the bug is with GTK, can you think of any workaround on my end ?

I can't, sorry.