Subject: bug#53941: 27.2; socks + tor dont work with https

From: Jacobo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 12:09:52 +0100

Emacs can not resolve domains when it is https if you are using a socks
proxy (socks.el)

Emacs Config:

#+begin_src elisp

(setq socks-override-functions t)
(setq url-gateway-method 'socks) ; same problem without this line in conf
(require 'socks)

(setq socks-noproxy '("localhost"))

(setq socks-server
  '("TOR"
    "localhost"
    9050
    5))
    
#+end_src

Tor is the socks proxy

Im running tor.

When I try:

M-x eww RET gnu.org RET

It works, load http://gnu.org (HTTP in plain)

Also work with .onion domains in HTTP plain

No problems with HTTP but

When I try:

M-x eww RET https://gnu.org RET

Return an error:

   Bad Request

   Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.
   Reason: You're speaking plain HTTP to an SSL-enabled server port.
   Instead use the HTTPS scheme to access this URL, please.

In GNU Emacs 27.2 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.30, cairo version 1.16.0)
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101002
System Description: GNU Guix System

Configured using:
 'configure
 CONFIG_SHELL=/gnu/store/4y5m9lb8k3qkb1y9m02sw9w9a6hacd16-bash-minimal-5.1.8/bin/bash
 SHELL=/gnu/store/4y5m9lb8k3qkb1y9m02sw9w9a6hacd16-bash-minimal-5.1.8/bin/bash
 --prefix=/gnu/store/c4bb68f53mw3sjf6xbyr7ba83csgjdkk-emacs-27.2
 --enable-fast-install --with-modules --with-cairo
 --disable-build-details'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG CAIRO SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY
INOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ M17N_FLT LIBOTF ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS JSON PDUMPER GMP