Subject: Re: bug#53941: 27.2; socks + tor dont work with https

From: Jacobo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2022 22:04:34 +0100

"J.P." <[email-masked]> writes:
> Jacobo <[email-masked]> writes:
>> Emacs can not resolve domains when it is https if you are using a
>> socks proxy (socks.el) [...] It works, load http://gnu.org (HTTP in
>> plain) Also work with .onion domains in HTTP plain No problems with
>> HTTP but When I try: M-x eww RET https://gnu.org RET
>> Return an error: Bad Request

> It's certainly possible (see attached). But can it be done responsibly?
> In this day and age, when processes and services resolve host names in
> all manner of ways, how can we be confident there won't be any leaks?

oh, nevermind

> At present, the main interfaces to various protocol stacks (for
> example, url-gw.el and friends) don't seem geared toward making those
> kinds of assurances. (Not that they ought to be.)  That said,
> providing the building blocks on the SOCKS side doesn't seem like the
> crime of the century. I've been sitting on what became the basis for
> these patches for a while now, but these here were hastily adapted and
> might come with some warts. Still, I believe them straightforward
> enough to illustrate a basic means of achieving what you're after.

>> In GNU Emacs 27.2 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.30,

> I also have some examples with shims for 27 running periodically in CI.
> These include a demo of using ERC to connect to Libera.Chat via SOCKS
> over TLS. (But that requires an IRCv3 library, which is still a work in
> progress.)

Now Ive tryed same in other computer with Trisquel 10, the problem still
happend

> If you're interested in experimenting with any of this stuff, please
> let me know. That goes for anyone else out there as well. Thanks.

yes, how can I help?

-- 
Emacs Lover.
FSF Member.
Free/Libre Software supporter.
stallmansupport.org - Disinformation succeeds because so many people
care deeply about injustice but do not take the time to check the facts.