Subject: Re: bug#53935: 27.2; [PATCH] ecomplete.el: Auto-select when there is only a single option

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 07:30:03 +0100

Phil Sainty <[email-masked]> writes:

> I tried out ecomplete for email address completion today(*),
> and I found it slightly annoying that when there was only a
> single match for the text, I still have to firstly type M-n
> to access the completion 'list', and then RET to select the
> only available option.
>
> Would the attached patch be a reasonable enhancement?

ecomplete tries to emulate how these things work in major browsers, and
they do not work this way (autoselect when there's only one match) --
because the user may be typing to see what's available, and would then
remove some characters if they don't get the matches they're looking
for.

So if we're adding this, it should default to nil, but I'm a bit
sceptical that many people would want the auto-select behaviour in any
case.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no