Subject: bug#53916: 29.0.50; pgtk: Gtk-WARNING with popup menu

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 10:10:42 +0200

> From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 15:25:49 +0800
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > Why confusing?  We already have in Emacs 28 and later a buffer named
> > *Async-native-compile-log* that "suddenly appears" as soon as Emacs
> > needs for the first time to natively-compile a Lisp file.  How is this
> > case different?
> 
> That one is a log of things Emacs is doing, while this one usually
> appears without context, and could contain scary error messages from
> various different libraries.

I don't see the crucial difference.

>From my POV, having GTK messages in *Messages* will make debugging
Emacs's own problems harder.  Some redisplay problems are only
visible in *Messages* (because we cannot signal an error), and having
the buffer filled up by irrelevant GTK stuff will make reading the
messages harder, and could even make the important messages disappear,
if the GTK stuff overflows message-log-max.

So I really prefer a separate buffer.