Subject: [PATCH 0/5] WIP Add WSL support.

From: Alex Griffin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 06:05:43 +0000

These patches are a work-in-progress, adding support for running Guix
System under [WSL].

      Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) lets developers run a GNU/Linux
      environment – including most command-line tools, utilities, and
      applications – directly on Windows, unmodified, without the overhead
      of a traditional virtual machine or dual-boot setup.

Things mostly just work already. To try it out, first generate an
os tarball:

┌────
│ guix system image gnu/system/images/wsl.scm
└────

Then copy the result to your Windows system and run:

┌────
│ wsl --import guix ./guix/ image.tar.gz
└────

You can now run Guix System under WSL:

┌────
│ wsl -d guix
└────

The approach I took is copied from the [NixOS-WSL] project. Since WSL
doesn’t run the guest distro’s init system, as a work-around I set the
root user’s shell to a script that boots the system and then starts a
user login shell.

Thanks,
–
Alex Griffin

[WSL] <https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/>

[NixOS-WSL] <https://github.com/nix-community/NixOS-WSL>