Subject: Re: bug#53910: [External] : bug#53910: 29.0.50; context-menu-mode breaks help in read-only buffers

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 10:16:57 +0100

> That bury-buffer can be mis-used or abused

Do you mean that the functions I posted mis-use or abuse 'bury-buffer'?

 > doesn't mean it should not
 > be used correctly,

What distinguishes a "correct use" of 'bury-buffer' from an "incorrect"
one in your opinion?

 > especially since we do that in many places.

Many of those assign 'bury-buffer' to a key (which is perfectly valid)
or call it with an explicit BUFFER-OR-NAME argument (which is also valid
but could avoid the extra indirection by calling 'bury-buffer-internal'
right away).  Problematic are calls without arguments, especially when
they are wrapped in 'with-selected-window' like in 'tab-line-close-tab'.

 > Moreover, bury-buffer does little besides bury-buffer-internal, so I
 > still don't understand the emotional reaction.

What's emotional about a recommendation?  My

   I recommend against calling 'bury-buffer' in Lisp code:

has to be seen in the context of Juri's

   Maybe (kill-buffer (window-buffer <WINDOW>)) has the same effect
   when used in any window, but (bury-buffer (window-buffer <WINDOW>))
   definitely should be called in the required window, because `bury-buffer`
   uses `nil` for the WINDOW args, e.g.:

	(set-window-dedicated-p nil nil)
	(switch-to-prev-buffer nil 'bury)

martin