Subject: bug#53897: 28.0.91; regression: rcirc overwrites completion-cycle-threshold

From: Philip Kaludercic <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2022 12:54:57 +0000

Daniel Mendler <[email-masked]> writes:

> rcirc-mode started to set `completion-cycle-threshold' to t. This
> setting is intrusive and interferes with user completion setups. It is
> better left to the user to tweak this setting in their user
> configuration, since users may want to configure completions coherently
> across the different modes in Emacs. Note that rcirc.el is the only
> file/mode which sets `completion-cycle-threshold'. Therefore it is
> better to revert the change which added this setting.

The change that introduced this was that the custom cycling
implementation was replaced with one based on completion-at-point
(0b367ec), mainly to simplify the code.  The reason
`completion-cycle-threshold' is set is to preserve the appearance of the
previous behaviour, as a complete reversion to completion-at-point
seemed like too much of a change.

I could imagine introducing a user option to decide what you want to
use.  My inclination would be to set it to "cycle by default", but it
doesn't need that way.  Perhaps we could test non-cycling (regular capf)
for a while, and see if there are any complaints or other feedback?

> In GNU Emacs 28.0.91 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.5,
> cairo version 1.16.0)
>  of 2022-02-09 built on projects
> Repository revision: 82e74e4559b8becd44f3e7ac0134e2baddd69921
> Repository branch: emacs-28
> Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12004000
> System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)

-- 
	Philip Kaludercic