Subject: Re: bug#53894: 27.2; Clipboard copy -> C-y -> M-y -> Same clipboard copy does not push to kill ring

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 09:43:58 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> If by "the text" you mean the text copied the second time from another
> application, then Emacs on MS-Windows behaves the same as on X in this
> scenario.

Yes.

> So now the only issue left (for me) is that I don't think I understand
> why the OP doesn't like this: after all, the original text from the
> clipboard is still available in the kill ring, and can be pasted given
> enough M-y, or using the Edit menu-bar menu, or using the new feature
> of M-y when it is invoked not after C-y or another M-y.

But it's surprising (and frustrating) to click on "Copy text" in a
different application and then (sometimes) not being able to yank it
with `C-y'.  So if we can fix that (and it sounds like we can (on most
platforms) now, since Po Lu introduced the
`gui-backend-selection-owner-p' function), we should.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no