Subject: bug#53894: 27.2; Clipboard copy -> C-y -> M-y -> Same clipboard copy does not push to kill ring

From: Ignacio Casso <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2022 10:13:25 +0100

Hello,

I've noticed that if you copy something to the clipboard outside of
Emacs, then rotate the kill ring in Emacs without adding anything new to
it, and then copy the same text again to the clipboard outside of Emacs
(not necessarily in the same place of application, just the same string
anywhere), that text is not pushed again to the top of the kill ring.

I'm not sure if it's intentional or not, or even if Emacs can do
anything about it (maybe since the text is the same, the clipboard is not
actually modified and Emacs has no way to know). I just wanted to report
it in case it is a bug.

This happens starting Emacs with "emacs -Q", in an Ubuntu 20.04.3 with
GNOME as window manager (although that's probably not enough information
to reproduce it if it's the clipboard's manager fault).

Thanks for your time,

Ignacio

In GNU Emacs 27.2 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.20)
 of 2022-01-16 built on ignacio-IdeaPad-3-15ADA05
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12013000
System Description: Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS