Subject: bug#53890: 29.0.50; feature request: cursor color as a foreground color

From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2022 13:31:51 +0800

Jose A Ortega Ruiz <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> right now, when using alpha-background, the cursor is set to the opacity
> of the background (i think that is because, as documented, only the
> :background attribute of the face is used). that means that, if one sets
> 'alpha-background to 0 to make the background transparent, the cursor
> becomes invisible when not over a character (and really difficult to
> spot even when over one), no matter its colour (i've tried with pgtk and
> no-toolkit builds).
>
> Am i missing an existing setting to avoid that problem, or perhaps doing
> something wrong? if not, it'd be nice to have the option of making the
> cursor behave as foreground (perhaps by honouring :foreground in its
> face, if set), so that one could have a fully transparent background and
> a cursor visible at all times.

It doesn't make much sense for `alpha-background' to affect the cursor
for the reasons you have mentioned.

Please try a build '--without-cairo' (and also without PGTK) and see if
that solves the problem.

Thanks.