Subject: Re: bug#53886: guix home not respecting guix pull -C

From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 20:06:39 -0500

On Tue, Feb 08, 2022 at 06:57:14PM -0500, Zacchaeus Scheffer wrote:
> Hi Guix!
> 
> I came across some weird behavior with guix home.  I wanted to recreate a
> working home environment from one machine on another (because I need a
> working qutebrowser install :3).  I did this by doing "guix pull
> --allow-downgrades -C" on my non-working computer using a channels file on
> the working one generated with "guix package --export-channels".  However,
> when I did "guix home reconfigure ...", old versions of packages were NOT
> installed.  I was able to downgrade the desired package with "guix package
> -i" (only that package was downgraded).

I'm curious, after you did `guix pull --allow-downgrades -C`, did you
use `guix show foo` before reconfiguring, in order to check if the pull
had taken effect?

Also, did you pull and reconfigure as the same user, with the same
privileges? Remember that your "view" of Guix (i.e. `guix pull`) is
per-user.

> My understanding is that "guix home reconfigure" SHOULD behave like "guix
> package --manifest", and install all packages in the most recent guix pull.

That's my understanding as well.