Subject: bug#53886: guix home not respecting guix pull -C

From: Zacchaeus Scheffer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2022 13:17:23 -0500

>
> I believe that's the main misunderstanding here, `guix home` acts like
> `guix system`: it creates home generations, inside which there is a
> profile.  That profile is _not_ ~/.guix-profile, but rather
> ~/.guix-home/profile.  They are disjoint and not operated on by the same
> commands, guix home will not touch ~/.guix-profile.  If you configure
> your shell environment variables with guix home alone, I believe only
> the the guix home profile is available by default.
>

I think I tracked down the problem.  In my home-zsh-service, I added the
contents of my previous .zprofile to to my new .zprofile, including "source
/etc/profile", so my .zprofile (with autogenerated lines) looked like:
source /etc/profile
source ~/.profile
source /etc/profile
Basically, /etc/profile stripped from my PATH the ~/.guix-home/profile
which was added by ~/.profile

I think this solves the original problem, but I don't like that
~/.guix-profile/ AND ~/.guix-home/profile are added to your path by
default.  I admit this is probably a "sane default" for most users, but I
care a lot about reproducibility.  Though I think there should be a better
solution, for now I am going to have guix home run "guix package -m" with
an empty manifest on reconfigure.

Thanks all for your help,
Zacchaeus