Subject: bug#53886: guix home not respecting guix pull -C

From: Josselin Poiret <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2022 10:10:16 +0100

Hello Zacchaeus and Leo,

Zacchaeus Scheffer <[email-masked]> writes:

> Looking at guix package --list-generations, my packages were only modified
> the one time I ran guix package -i qutebrowser.  After running guix package
> -i qutebrowser, guix package --export-channels DID have the content passed
> to guix pull -C PLUS the following comment:
> ;; Note: these other commits were also used to install some of the packages
> in this profile:
> ;;   "97d97d7da1f5b500b2b76210131ca6adff6a1e80"
>
> [snip]
>
> Looking at guix home list-generations, it looks like the generation has not
> updated any of the numerous times I guix home reconfigured today after guix
> pull --allow-downgrades -C'ing an old channels.  However, I was not able to
> reproduce this behavior, so take it with a grain of salt.
>> > My understanding is that "guix home reconfigure" SHOULD behave like "guix
>> > package --manifest", and install all packages in the most recent guix
>> pull.
>>
>> That's my understanding as well.

I believe that's the main misunderstanding here, `guix home` acts like
`guix system`: it creates home generations, inside which there is a
profile.  That profile is _not_ ~/.guix-profile, but rather
~/.guix-home/profile.  They are disjoint and not operated on by the same
commands, guix home will not touch ~/.guix-profile.  If you configure
your shell environment variables with guix home alone, I believe only
the the guix home profile is available by default.

Best,
-- 
Josselin Poiret