Subject: bug#53885: 28.0.51 [PATCH] Autoload package-installed-p

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 09:41:40 +0100

Corwin Brust <[email-masked]> writes:

> I would like to have my init scripts automatically install a package
> that isn't available "out of the box", but only if that feature hasn't
> already been installed.
>
> As things presently stand, `package-installed-p' is nearly perfect for
> this, however one must take care to ensure package.el has been
> manually loaded before calling it, in order to avoid Emacs raising the
> error shown in the original report.

Oh, I see -- this has nothing to do with use-package, and you could have
used some other package manager.  You just want to be able to check
whether a package is installed in .emacs (without saying `require
'package') which seems reasonable to me.

However, this comes firmly under "new functionality" and not "bug fix",
so I'm not sure we should put it in emacs-28 at this point, no matter
how innocuous it looks like.  But if Eli thinks otherwise, I won't
object.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no