Subject: bug#53883: strange conflicts with guix package -m manifest

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2022 15:56:42 +0100

Hi,

Leo Famulari <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Basically, the python-twine package, as it is now, cannot be installed
> in a profile.
>
> That is because its dependency graph of propagated packages includes
> different versions of python-cffi, and you cannot install both of these
> cffi packages alongside each other in a symlink forest (i.e. a profile).

Any idea how this could be addressed?

There are currently 133 dependents of [email-masked] (python-cmarkgfm
is the only direct user) and 3,807 dependents of [email-masked].  It’d
be easier if they all depended on 1.14.

Unfortunately we can’t just use 1.14 for python-cmarkgfm:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
$ guix build python-cmarkgfm --with-input=[email-masked]=[email-masked]
[…]
ERROR: Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement cffi>=1.15.0 (from versions: none)
ERROR: No matching distribution found for cffi>=1.15.0
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Should we downgrade python-cmarkgfm, or relax its requirements?  Marius,
WDYT?  :-)

Ludo’.