Subject: bug#53878: closed (Re: [PATCH v7 00/24] Update Racket to 8.4. Adjust Chez Scheme packages.)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2022 23:00:02 +0000

Your bug report

#53878: [PATCH 00/11] Update Racket to 8.4. Adjust Chez Scheme

which was filed against the guix-patches package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
53878: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=53878
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: [PATCH v7 00/24] Update Racket to 8.4. Adjust Chez Scheme packages.
From: Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]>
To: Philip McGrath <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], zimoun <[email-masked]>
Cc: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>, Maxime Devos <[email-masked]>, raingloom <[email-masked]>, Liliana Marie Prikler <[email-masked]>, Attila Lendvai <[email-masked]>, Malte Gerdes <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2022 23:59:00 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi Philip,

Am Sonntag, dem 27.02.2022 um 16:28 -0500 schrieb Philip McGrath:
> Hi,
> 
> On Sunday, February 27, 2022 3:42:46 AM EST Liliana Marie Prikler
> wrote:
> > 
> > Perhaps I wasn't clear enough about this in v5, but I think spec
> > should
> > be a single argument rather than multiple ones.  This way, if we do
> > find that we need to extend it to support an additional argument,
> > we
> > don't have to awkwardly code around the #:rest.
> > 
> 
> Rather than debate it, I'm sending a v7 with the change to patch
> 03/24 that Liliana requested in
> <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/53878#187>.
Sorry for the delay.  I cleaned up some of your commits and their
messages, but apart from that pushed v7 without major changes.  I'm
marking this as done now; if you feel I've made a mistake somewhere,
don't hesitate to reopen.

Cheers  

Subject: [RFC PATCH 0/9] Update Racket to 8.4. Adjust Chez Scheme packages.
From: Philip McGrath <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 10:13:16 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Racket 8.4 hasn't been released yet (expect it in a matter of days), but I
wanted to solicit feedback on these changes early.

On the Racket side of things, discussions upstream and with other distribution
packagers have clarified what a ``minimal Racket'' package ought to consist
of, which in turn suggested a nice new boundary between the lowest-level
Racket VM packages, which are concerned with bootstrapping and platform
support, and a more uniform use of layered and tethered installations for both
the 'racket-minimal' and 'racket' packages. I've also started getting the
sources for the other main-distribution Racket packages directly from their
respective repositories, rather than extracting them from the bundled
tarballs. All in all, it's a few steps closer to the goal of a build system
for Racket packages.

For Chez Scheme, I set out to package Racket's variant of Chez Scheme---which
supports architectures not yet supported upstream, e.g. aarch64---and to share
more between the upstream and Racket packages. I also tweaked various things I
found along the way: hopefully some are clear improvements, though there are
some prime opportunities for bikeshedding about naming things.

Let me know what you think!

 -Philip

Philip McGrath (9):
  gnu: chez-scheme: Move to (gnu packages chez-and-racket-bootstrap).
  gnu: chez-scheme: Use "lib/chez-scheme" for search path.
  gnu: chez-scheme: Use shared zlib and lz4.
  gnu: chez-and-racket-bootstrap: Add utilities for Chez machine types.
  gnu: Add stex.
  gnu: Add chez-nanopass.
  gnu: chez-scheme: Explicitly package bootstrap bootfiles.
  gnu: Add chez-scheme-racket-variant.
  gnu: racket: Update to 8.3.900.

 gnu/local.mk                                  |    5 +-
 gnu/packages/chez-and-racket-bootstrap.scm    | 1108 ++++++++++++
 gnu/packages/chez.scm                         |  628 +++----
 gnu/packages/emacs-xyz.scm                    |    4 +-
 gnu/packages/loko.scm                         |    4 +-
 .../racket-enable-scheme-backport.patch       |  465 +++++
 ...acket-gui-tethered-launcher-backport.patch |   26 +
 gnu/packages/racket.scm                       | 1552 +++++++++++------
 8 files changed, 2850 insertions(+), 942 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 gnu/packages/chez-and-racket-bootstrap.scm
 create mode 100644 gnu/packages/patches/racket-enable-scheme-backport.patch
 create mode 100644 gnu/packages/patches/racket-gui-tethered-launcher-backport.patch

-- 
2.32.0