Subject: [bug#53878] [RFC PATCH 0/9] Update Racket to 8.4. Adjust Chez Scheme packages.

From: Philip McGrath <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 10:13:16 -0500

Racket 8.4 hasn't been released yet (expect it in a matter of days), but I
wanted to solicit feedback on these changes early.

On the Racket side of things, discussions upstream and with other distribution
packagers have clarified what a ``minimal Racket'' package ought to consist
of, which in turn suggested a nice new boundary between the lowest-level
Racket VM packages, which are concerned with bootstrapping and platform
support, and a more uniform use of layered and tethered installations for both
the 'racket-minimal' and 'racket' packages. I've also started getting the
sources for the other main-distribution Racket packages directly from their
respective repositories, rather than extracting them from the bundled
tarballs. All in all, it's a few steps closer to the goal of a build system
for Racket packages.

For Chez Scheme, I set out to package Racket's variant of Chez Scheme---which
supports architectures not yet supported upstream, e.g. aarch64---and to share
more between the upstream and Racket packages. I also tweaked various things I
found along the way: hopefully some are clear improvements, though there are
some prime opportunities for bikeshedding about naming things.

Let me know what you think!

 -Philip

Philip McGrath (9):
  gnu: chez-scheme: Move to (gnu packages chez-and-racket-bootstrap).
  gnu: chez-scheme: Use "lib/chez-scheme" for search path.
  gnu: chez-scheme: Use shared zlib and lz4.
  gnu: chez-and-racket-bootstrap: Add utilities for Chez machine types.
  gnu: Add stex.
  gnu: Add chez-nanopass.
  gnu: chez-scheme: Explicitly package bootstrap bootfiles.
  gnu: Add chez-scheme-racket-variant.
  gnu: racket: Update to 8.3.900.

 gnu/local.mk                                  |    5 +-
 gnu/packages/chez-and-racket-bootstrap.scm    | 1108 ++++++++++++
 gnu/packages/chez.scm                         |  628 +++----
 gnu/packages/emacs-xyz.scm                    |    4 +-
 gnu/packages/loko.scm                         |    4 +-
 .../racket-enable-scheme-backport.patch       |  465 +++++
 ...acket-gui-tethered-launcher-backport.patch |   26 +
 gnu/packages/racket.scm                       | 1552 +++++++++++------
 8 files changed, 2850 insertions(+), 942 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 gnu/packages/chez-and-racket-bootstrap.scm
 create mode 100644 gnu/packages/patches/racket-enable-scheme-backport.patch
 create mode 100644 gnu/packages/patches/racket-gui-tethered-launcher-backport.patch

-- 
2.32.0