Subject: Re: bug#53866: face-attribute giving bold for ultra-bold attribute

From: goncholden <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2022 06:30:03 +0000

------- Original Message -------
On Tuesday, February 8th, 2022 at 5:54 AM, Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> wrote:
> goncholden [email-masked] writes:
>
> > I have called in my init file
> > (set-face-attribute 'default nil :height 160 :weight 'ultra-bold)
> > But (princ (face-attribute 'default :weight)) gives bold.
>
> Please use `M-x report-emacs-bug' when reporting bugs so that we can see
> the information about your Emacs build and OS.
>
> Does the font you use have an ultra-bold variation? Very few fonts have
> that weight (but many have the "black" weight, which is heavier).

Now that you mention it, I do not know exactly what font emacs is using.
I have modus-themes activated.  Are there monospace fonts which go to
ultra-bold?  I do not know whether emacs should report about whether
a weight setup fails for the font being used.

In GNU Emacs 27.2 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.32) of
2021-09-28 built on fuckup Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation',
version 11.0.11906000 System Description: Trisquel GNU/Linux Etiona (9.0)

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG SOUND GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY INOTIFY GNUTLS
FREETYPE HARFBUZZ XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK2 X11 XDBE XIM MODULES
THREADS PDUMPER GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  global-company-mode: t
  company-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  outline-minor-mode: t
  icomplete-vertical-mode: t
  icomplete-mode: t
  richerenkov-minor-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  auto-fill-function: do-auto-fill
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa
epg epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs text-property-search
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr
mail-utils face-remap company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev company
flight-guidance flight daphne rx faddeev-texi persepolis-fort
volterra-elisp foramifer-shell org-tempo tempo ob-C ob-latex ob-awk
ob-shell shell ob-calc calc-store calc-trail calc-ext calc calc-loaddefs
calc-macs ob-lisp ob-fortran cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds
cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs ob-org matryoshka cl org ob
ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-footnote org-src
ob-comint org-pcomplete pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities
time-date org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-table ol
org-keys org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs format-spec find-func cal-menu
calendar cal-loaddefs pachamama-org noutline outline shell-outliner
texi-outliner texinfo fort-outliner fortran f90 cus-edit cus-start
cus-load wid-edit elisp-outliner pterosaur-outliner ziggurat-protowrit
toromona-recluder checkdoc lisp-mnt thingatpt counsel xdg advice xref
project dired dired-loaddefs compile comint ansi-color swiper cl-extra
help-mode ivy derived delsel ring ivy-faces ivy-overlay colir color
orderless icomplete-vertical icomplete contrib teleport richerenkov
easy-mmode diamer marshall saveplace speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe
modus-vivendi-theme modus-operandi-theme modus-themes typex edmacro
kmacro pcase package easymenu browse-url url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs
password-cache json subr-x map url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 374514 14523)
 (symbols 48 38891 2)
 (strings 32 129711 4054)
 (string-bytes 1 3645382)
 (vectors 16 30391)
 (vector-slots 8 754256 22764)
 (floats 8 329 86)
 (intervals 56 436 0)
 (buffers 1000 14))