Subject: bug#53840: closed (Re: bug#53850: [PATCH] gnu: bitlbee-discord: Update to 0.4.3-1.607f988)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 22:29:02 +0000

Your bug report

#53840: The current [email-masked] does not work with [email-masked]

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
53840: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=53840
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#53850: [PATCH] gnu: bitlbee-discord: Update to 0.4.3-1.607f988
From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
To: Adam Maleszka <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 23:28:06 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

Adam Maleszka <[email-masked]> skribis:

> From b307d3e8bccbef9436502b10192960441f684687 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
> From: Adam Maleszka <[email-masked]>
> Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2022 16:47:56 +0100
> Subject: [PATCH] gnu: bitlbee-discord: Update to 0.4.3-1.607f988
>
> ---
>  gnu/packages/messaging.scm | 85 +++++++++++++++++++++-----------------
>  1 file changed, 48 insertions(+), 37 deletions(-)

I added a commit log and applied it.

Thanks!

Ludo’.

Subject: The current [email-masked] does not work with [email-masked]
From: Adam Maleszka <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2022 09:44:27 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I'm trying to configure bitlbee-discord in order to write on Discord
using ERC in Emacs. Unfortunately, every time I open connection to
Discord, this error is thrown:

discord - Login error: Failed to switch to websocket mode

Actually, it is a well-known issue caused by breaking changes in the new
version of glib (2.70.X):
https://github.com/sm00th/bitlbee-discord/issues/226 A fix is introduced
with commit 607f9887ca85f246e970778e3d40aa5c346365a7:
https://github.com/sm00th/bitlbee-discord/commit/607f9887ca85f246e970778e3d40aa5c346365a7
However, the commit is far newer than the 0.4.3 tag, thus
[email-masked] is unusable with [email-masked].

I see three solutions.

* The first solution --- upgrade bitlbee-discord

This solution involves upgrading bitlbee-discord to the specified
commit. I don't think it will make the package more unstable, especially
after this post:
https://github.com/sm00th/bitlbee-discord/issues/118#issuecomment-606856620

However, it would be good to stick to convention and only introduce
"stable" release versions.

* The second solution --- requesting a new release

That said, I think it would be a good idea to request a new release
from the author, particularly as [email-masked] is becoming more common.

However, there is no certainty that the new release would be stable,
though.

* The third solution --- patching current release

Last but not least, what about writing a patch for the current release?
The mentioned commit does not seem complicated. I think it is the best
solution, because it gives us more control while preserving the
stability of the release. However, it is always extra work.

Which solution do you think is the best?