Subject: Re: bug#53827: [PATCH] Add a TLDR entry to the cookbook for building Guix from Git.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2022 14:36:00 +0100

Hi,

Pierre-Henry Fröhring <[email-masked]> skribis:

> I try to make Guix our default package manager.  It's really wonderful
> so far.  To that end, I need TLDRs so that less experienced
> developpers can get going /fast/.  Deeper understanding will come in
> time.
>
> I also need to convince that Guix is /easy/ to third parties.  I need
> to /show/ that /installing/, /configuring/ and /using/ Guix is fast
> and efficient.  I found out that TLDRs are great tools for that.
>
> I need to have small TLDRs so that when things go wrong, it's easy to
> know where and fix either the TLDR or the manual steps. Also,
> sometimes, things go wrong and are not documented. /E.g./ setting
> ~LC_ALL=C.UTF-8~ will make Guix complain even after installing ~guix
> install glibc-utf8-locales~.  I can factor this knowledge inside these
> TLDR fast.

No argument here, I very much understand why as a user or potential
contributor one would want to-the-point documentation as a first step.

I also want to be able to understand what I’m doing though—maybe not at
first, but soon enough.  That’s why I don’t feel comfortable giving a
raw list of commands without explanations.

But maybe we can have both, with cross references.

Thoughts?

Ludo’.