Subject: [bug#53818] Improving updaters and ‘guix refresh’

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2022 22:28:46 +0100

Hi!

Nicolas Goaziou <[email-masked]> skribis:

> zimoun <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> On Thu, 17 Feb 2022 at 11:35, Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>
>>> How does it fail?  If it’s the GitHub rate limit, then there’s only one
>>> answer: you have to provide a token.
>
> IIUC, I have to register on GitHub to create this token. This is a bit
> sad as a prerequisite to use one core feature of Guix.

I have some good news!

  https://issues.guix.gnu.org/54241

Granted, it’s not a revolution, but it should fix one of the main
annoyances of ‘guix refresh’.

Regarding the “sad prerequisite”, the ‘github’ updater predates the
‘generic-git’ updater by several years, during which it was the only way
to get data for matching packages.

Actually I wonder if it’s still useful to keep.  In theory it can
provide more accurate data than the ‘generic-git’ updater; not sure if
this is the case in practice.

Ludo’.