Subject: bug#53805: 27.2; NonGNU ELPA: helm does not install dependencies

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2022 11:26:45 -0500

>> The scripts try to handle those problems by cleaning after themselves,
>> but apparently not well enough because I've already had to go and
>> manually unwedge the system for a few packages that have their own
>> `<pkg>-pkg.el` file (`helm` and `helm-core` being among those I've had
>> to manually unwedge :-( ).
>
> Not sure to understand this, what do you mean by unwedge? (sorry didn't
> find the translation, "décoincer" perhaps?).

"décoincer" is what I was thinking, yes.  Concretely, it means I have to
log into `elpa.gnu.org` and manually `git reset --hard` at the right
spot otherwise the cron job keeps giving me an error on the offending package.

It's due to a bug in `elpa-admin.el`, but it's one I haven't been able
to fix yet (and already "fixed it" once, so there's a chance that if
I "fix it" this time it still won't really be fixed).

> What I could do is creating a new file helm-core.el with only the needed
> informations e.g. package-requires and add as well the package-requires
> infos in helm.el, this would work for both Melpa and Elpa (after
> removing the *pkg.el files).
> WDYT?

That's the recommended way, yes.

        Stefan