Subject: [bug#53797] [PATCH] gnu: Add emacs-app-launcher.

From: Demis Balbach <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2022 11:55:49 +0100

On 2022-02-05 13:05, Maxime Devos wrote:

> Demis Balbach schreef op za 05-02-2022 om 12:20 [+0100]:
>> +       "app-launcher defines the app-launcher-run-app command which uses Emacs
>> +standard completion feature to select an application installed on your machine
>> +and launch it.")
>
> What does ‘launching’ mean here?  Is ‘launching an application’
> functionally the same as running it (with 'fork'+'exec' or 'system' or
> whatever)?  Does it have extra bells and whistles?
>
> It's a super vague word, e.g. when Xiden has been announced on guix-
> devel, one of the words that kept being repeated was 'launcher', but it
> wasn't defined anywhere in its practically empty manual. (Nowadays
> there's actually a manual and it does define launchers, but it didn't
> use to.) 
>
> Greetings,
> Maxime.

Hello. I don't know if that's what you wanted to hear but technically,
the script is a big wrapper around
`call-process-shell-command'. `app-launcher--action-function' can be set
to whatever function to execute on the selected candidate, by default
this is set to `app-launcher--action-function-default' which ultimately
runs `call-process-shell-command'. See:
https://github.com/SebastienWae/app-launcher/blob/main/app-launcher.el#L167

Is this enough information?

-- 
Best regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Demis Balbach