Subject: bug#53793: 29.0.50; 'fullscreen' frame parameter on pgtk

From: Augusto Stoffel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2022 14:35:30 +0100

On Wed,  9 Feb 2022 at 09:45, martin rudalics <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> (But I still think it would be nice – and reduce confusion – to extend
>> `move-frame-functions'.)
>
> 'move-frame-functions' has one modest purpose: Catch the case where a
> frame gets moved but _not_ resized.  This should be useful to avoid a
> timer when trying to synchronize side by side frames like a speedbar
> attached to a normal frame (without resorting to a timer)

The speedbar is created with the same height as the attached frame.  For
sure you would also want to synchronize their heights in the event of a
resize?  (And not only if the main frame is resized from the top edge,
of course.)

> or a frame that should be positioned at a precise location on top of a
> normal frame (like a native tooltip frame that doesn't vanish on
> input).

What if the “precise location” is stipulated relative to the bottom
right corner of the frame?  I wish I could stick a clock at the bottom
right of the main frame, as if it was part of the echo area but right
aligned.

> To catch resizing 'move-frame-functions' is much too noisy.

Any of the things above can be achieve by adding the same function to
both 'move-frame-functions' and 'window-size-change-functions', but that
indeed seems to much noise.

Resizing a frame is just as rare as moving it, and much less common than
changing window configurations, so I don't understand the concern.

> martin